Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Computer geeks and me worrying less.

Going back to college after many years I was nervous. I'm studying Computer Programing, and was worried that my age, and experience would keep me from getting a good job. A year in, I feel better everyday. Most of the people in my computer classes know more than me, without a doubt. However I do not weight 350lbs and live in my mothers basement. It is sad on a level that I can not convey. Now I'm no small person. My Wii fit tells me I'm obease. And I don't wish to attack people who truly battle with their weight everyday. These are not those people. They sit in front of me, pounding on a keyboard, pounding down the seat, pounding down pound cake and slugging Mountain Dew. These are the fat people who have to take a break going downstairs to get more Cheetos. Their knowledge impresses me, they do not. When I go for an interview and these guys are the ones sitting next to me, I don't think I will fear my chances. On paper, they blow me away, in an interview they are sloppy and painfully socially inept. I am in no way better than they are, well I am in a couple of ways, but I'm sure they beat me in some category, just not being able to count the number of girls they have kissed with more than one hand.
I see the guy calling to set up an interview right now.
"Hello" Mom answers.
"May I speak with Robert Smith please?"
"Billy its for you! And your pizza rolls are ready!" yelling down stairs.
"Just a minute Mommy. I'm just about to get to level 70 in Warcraft!"
"He will be a minute." shes says into the phone.
I thought it was a cliche, now I know its a culture. A sad, sad, scooter, jelly bean eating, pale skinned, man boob, virgin club. I can't get in, and I'm OK with that.

No comments: